Category Archives: Terrain

Another Papercraft Building

Just finished another of the great papercraft buildings by Dave Graffam. This is the West Gate. It was great fun to build and the quality is superb, like the two other buildings I tried before. Here are two pics of the building (second one after clicking “view full post” below) with some Warmachine models for size comparison. The gate is just wide enough to let a Warjack pass which makes for great gaming possibilities.

Read the rest of this entry


Village Pub – Papercraft Terrain

After the tryout house by Dave Graffam Models was so much fun to build and looked excellent assembled, I decided to invest the vast amount of almost 2$ to buy one of the other PDFs. (Seriously, worth every penny.) The one I chose was the Village Pub which I have just finished to assemble. In this post I want to share how it looks like and some of my experiences.

This one was fun again to build but a little more complex. The bigger building caused some more warping of the paper while glueing. This time I decided not to scale down to print on A4 sized paper as recommended. The first building, which I scaled down, looked a little to small with Warmachine models beside it. So this time I went with 100% size and it looks great beside the miniatures. So just see yourself:

Probably not the last papercraft building on my desk.

Papercraft Terrain

I wanted to try out tp build papercraft terrain for some time now and just recently I managed to buy some cardboard and gave it a try. As i intended to test it with a free model before I invest any money in a pdf, I chose the free coachhouse by Dave Graffam Models. This piece has a very nice feature. It provides different layers in the pdf so you can choose textures and locations of doors, windows and other details.

For printing I used a standard Canon inkjet printer for home purpose (Pixma MP540) and white cardboard with a paper weight of 190 g/m². The printing went fine and after cutting and folding I used very thin layers of unthinned wood glue to assemble it. The wood glue didn’t blur any of the colours and the warping was minimal. In the end I am really happy with the final building that you can see on the following pictures. It was also big fun to assemble and gave me some memories of my childhood when it was a hobby of mine to design and build papercraft models. The scale could have been a little bit bigger as you can see on the door in the second picture. I am definitely going to buy one or another of these papercraft terrain.

Desert Pond Finished

Despite the failure in building this piece of terrain (see over there), I finished it with some bushes and grass. So here is how it looks like. I added a Manhunter in these pictures to see the actual size. In the end I’m not totally disappointed even if the water still looks really strange.

Acrylic Water Fail

I’ve added the acrylic water to the piece of terrain presented in this post and a lot has gone wrong with this as I will present to you in this post.

At first I have to tell you that I didn’t have full control over the choice of water-color. I borrowed an azure blue acrylic water gel and transparent water dispersion from a friend. While applying the blue acrylic gel to create the waterfall I was really happy how easy modelling with this works. During the status before drying the gel has a quite bright blue color and I was in hope that it would dry getting a nice transparency. But a day later the waterfall had turned into a rather dark blue one with only slight transparency. Nevertheless I decided to continue working on the terrain as the structure of the waterfall looked really nice.

Next step was to add the dispersion to the pond. During that step I noticed how stupid this was looking: like some blue waterfall of plastic stopping in a clear pond. Spontaneously I decided to drip some turquoise color to the area where the waterfall ends into the clear water before it dries. This was supposed to get at least the effect of a blue liquid running into a clear liquid. That looked still quite unrealistic but I was fine to live with it. Possible explanation, if anyone asks, might be a special blue fountain pouring into a clear pond fed by an underground source… or something like that. Well, there is magic everywhere in the Iron Kingdoms, isn’t it?

I parked the piece of terrain on my desk to let it dry another night. On the next day I noticed that a lot of the dispersion ran over the rim of the pond onto my desk. *grrr* And with a closer look I even noticed that a little bit of dispersion, colored by the turquoise color, had found a way beneath the rock to the edge of the terrain’s base. Also the base was quite bent so the dispersion was located at the rim of the pond with leaving most of the sand open in the middle of it. So almost everything that could have gone wrong with this piece of terrain has gone wrong.

Nevertheless I’m going to finish it anyway. Adding some static grass and small bushes will cover the dispersion flood, and the unrealistic blue waterfall will be explained as the special feature of this magic fountain *cough*. But see for yourself: Read the rest of this entry

Desert Terrain

Finished three pieces of terrain today for my desert battlefield: two walls and one building, as can be seen on the picture.

Additionally I have a picture of another piece of terrain which is still work in progress. This one will become a shallow pond filled by a spring from some big piece of rock. I will try some acrylic gel based water effect, that I haven’t tested before, to create a small waterfall. For the pond itself I will use some self leveling water dispersion, with which I’ve had good results so far. I hope this will come out fine.

I will put pictures of it on this blog when I’ve finished the pond.